The first thing we are going to do before entering fully into the definition of the term culture of legality is the establishment of the etymological origin of the two main words that shape it. Two words emanating from Latin:
• Culture comes from “culture” which, in turn, derives from “cultus” that can be translated as “cultivation”.
• Legality. This term comes from the sum of three Latin components: the noun "lex", which can be translated as "law"; the word "-al", which indicates "relative to"; and the suffix "-dad", which is used as a synonym for "quality".
Culture It is a concept that can be understood in various ways. The term usually refers to framework built on a social level and formed by rites, uses, traditions and speeches shared by the members of a community.
The legality On the other hand, it is the property of the legal, that is, of what meets the law and who agrees with the legislation in force.
The notion of culture of legality , therefore, is linked to the principles that people they have respect to the law and to the organisms in charge to execute it. These values are translated into people's behavior, which may or may not be attached to what is established by the legal order.
It is necessary to establish that the men and women who live in a society where the culture of legality is carried out successfully bet on developing the following actions:
• They are responsible for respecting the rules.
• They have a responsibility both to respect the set of laws and to cooperate with the authorities.
• Proceed to condemn and reject acts that are considered illegal.
• Know the rules that regulate society.
• No less important is the fact that they collaborate with the institutions and agencies that are responsible for ensuring justice.
In theory , the law is a couple for all members of a community: their mandates, obligations and restrictions must be respected by all citizens, regardless of their social or economic status. However, that does not usually happen. On the other hand, there are laws that people can consider as unfair , which affects the culture of legality that should act as a form of self-regulation.
The ideal indicates that the culture of legality must develop on solid principles and that are acceptable to the population. When the individual warns that compliance with the law is not even or that the legislation can even be violated without consequences, such culture is undermined. It is thought, then, that respect for legality is not so important for the operation of the society .
In addition to all of the above, we cannot ignore that Culture of Legality is also the term that shapes a web space in Mexico that has as a clear objective to promote the aforementioned culture and fight crime. In said website, the two objectives mentioned are pursued through specific areas such as the government, business or school sectors.